Thursday, January 8, 2009

Sunday Roast Chicken and Acorn Squash Puree



I've been posting mostly soups.
I thought it time I give you something to bite into instead of slurp.

034 (2)













Roast Chicken

These days I like beer butt chicken
057

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, you're basically shoving
a can of beer up inside the bird.
Because it stands upright all sides are evenly cooked.
And cooked right this bird is SUCCULENT.

I salt and pepper the bird, inside and out.

I've tried high heat. I've tried low and slow.
My preference is 15 minutes on 500
then cook at 275 until you can easily pull the leg
or the juices run clear.
Simple is best.
047 (2)



*****






Pureed Acorn Squash


Ingredients:
Two acorn squash
Salt
Pepper
Saffron
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Heavy Cream
Chicken broth.

You all know I don't measure.


Microwave the squash.
Remove the seeds
Scrape the squash out and put into food processor
(you also use a blender or a mixer)
Add 1 cup chicken broth.
Puree.
Put mixture into a pot.
Medium heat.
Add pinches of:
salt, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon
(heat a 1/8 cup of broth)
Add pinch of saffron to the heated liquid
so that it will evenly distrubute when added to the squash puree
Add a half cup of heavy whipping cream.
Let mixture simmer until it thickens.
(if you want to turn this into a soup just add more liquid, broth and or cream)

034 (2)


*********





I almost forgot dessert!

Sweet Ricotta filled Crepes with a Blueberry Sauce
(will post recipe tomorrow)

011 (2)



Good comfort food...
and a few of you could use a little extra comfort right about now.
you know who you are.
loving you I am
the only way I know how.
Eat.

Wishing you all a great week ahead.



0 comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs