Saturday, January 10, 2009

On The Subject of Personal Boundaries...

I post this at least once on every blog site I do.
I think its an important piece.
Since I'm back in blogger world again,
I think I shall do just that.
Post this.











On the Subject of Personal Boundaries





"When we set a boundary, we let go of the outcome."

The purpose of setting boundaries is to take care of our self. Being forced to learn how to set boundaries is a vital part of learning to own our self, of learning to respect ourselves, of learning to love ourselves. If we never have to set a boundary, then we will never get in touch with who we really are. ~Robert Burney








The other day I had a blog about apologies.
Today is about that for which I will not apologize.


I will not apologize for setting my own personal boundaries.
I will not apologize for doing whatever it takes to enforce those boundaries.
I will not apologize for doing whatever it takes to protect my emotonal well being.
I will not apologize for keeping out those who are not healthy.
I will not apologize for taking time to think before I speak.
I will not apologize for telling someone their behavior is not acceptable to me.
I will not apologize for deciding what behavior is and is not acceptable.
I will not apologize for stepping back from a situation in order to evaluate my feelings, however long that takes.
I will not apologize for setting strict boundaries when I need and sticking to them.
I will not apologize for asking for space when I need it.
I will not apologize for taking responsibility for the way I allow others to treat me.
I will not apologize for cutting someone completely out of my life if I feel they don't respect my boundaries.
I will not apologize for not believing everything I'm told.
I will not apologize for letting your problems, your dysfunction be yours.
I will not apologize for not being able to be all things to all people.
I will not apologize for loving myself enough to set boundaries even if it means I risk losing people in my life because of them.

and let me add this...

I will not apologize for not settling for anything less than the truth.
Apologies mean nothing without it.






Some of you know why I wrote this.
Some of you don't.
Some of you won't ask.

Some of you will take the time to write out your own boundaries....



I hope that you do.






1 comments:

Unknown said...

you greatly influenced me by posting this. I dont know you and just came to your blog via tastespotting to get your linguine recipe. thank you for NOT apologizing for all those things and for letting me borrow this!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs