Saturday, February 14, 2009

On The Subject of Romantic Love



since it's Valentines day




_MG_4973a




"Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides.
And when it subsides you have to make a decision.
You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together
that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is.
Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement,
it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion.
That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are.

Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away,
and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.
Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground,
and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches
we found that we were one tree and not two.



- Captain Corelli's Mandolin.








"Love is the beauty of the soul." --St. Augustine













4 comments:

a quiet life said...

beautiful picture, words and sentiment~
signed an old fat tree...

Anonymous said...

Sigh... Is it possible that you have penetrated my bitter, cynical shell, Kathleen?

La Table De Nana said...

This made me cry.
Because it is true.That's exactly what happens.And I mean that in a good way.

Kathleen Bade said...

I'm glad you all liked it...I thought it fit rather nicely given the day.


Blue Moon, we trees who are thick around the middle have lived well fertilized lives....and we're not so easily blown by every wind... :)

A.B. you know I was wondering the other day, where's the angry part to this brit? And psst do you have a first name you are willing to share or shall I continue to call you A.B.?

Monique, I had a feeling. Don't ask me how..

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs