Sunday, February 15, 2009

On The Subject of Romantic Love Redux



~because some things are worth repeating~



one tree (2)


"Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides.
And when it subsides you have to make a decision.
You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together
that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is.
Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement,
it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion.
That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are.

Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away,
and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.
Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground,
and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches
we found that we were one tree and not two.



- Captain Corelli's Mandolin.










.

8 comments:

a quiet life said...

the tree of life~

vanillasugarblog said...

can we see that pb & bacon sandwich again? lol
just kidding...I know buzzzzkill!

Kathleen Bade said...

Right on Blue Moon.


lol @ pb n bacon! nah that was funny stuff Dawn.

Anonymous said...

This photo (which is gorgeous, by the way), reminds me of the poem "In the Bleak Midwinter" by Christina Rossetti.

Kathleen Bade said...

I think if I were going to be a tree I'd want to be this one.


A.B. nods, ty, I googled that btw.
It's also a christmas song, duly noted.

La Table De Nana said...

We have a very similar tree here ..Now I want to lean a ladder on it.
I wonder if the owners of the tree would mind:)

Unknown said...

a relationship between a person and someone other than (their) spouse (or lover) that has an impact on the level of intimacy, emotional distance and overall dynamic balance in the marriage. The role of an affair is to create emotional distance in the marriage. The critical principle to consider is the possibility of unconscious emotional benefits gained by the uninvolved spouse. The goal of therapy is to resolve the intimacy problems in the couple relationship so that an affair will no longer be 'needed.' This model does not consider the possibility of accidental affairs nor those that arise out of individual pathology or habit rather than relationship difficulties.

Kathleen Bade said...

Cameron,

Thank you for your comment, I enjoyed reading you.
I understand the dynamics of an affair.
Never have I ever considered an affair accidental.
Before I speak to that...might I ask you
to expound on that, how an affair could be
construed as "accidental"?

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs