Thursday, March 26, 2009

Move over Banquet, This Girl Can Make Her Own Pot Pie






chicken pot pie 027a





Yes indeedy I can.
I remember those pot pies, dried out, bordering on burnt.
Why Mom why? I'm laughing, in my adult years, I've taken
those prefab things and nuked em into some gooey glob and
eaten them......they were the ramen noodles of the 70's.

I had the whole day off. Was a great day.
Good things happened really good things.
I knew that they would.

My chicken pot pies were damn good.
My not so short anymore person, who's actually
now four inches taller than I (and when in the hell did that happen?)
said "Mom, no I won't eat it there's peas in it. You know I don't like peas,
can I go to Jeff's." Sure. His loss I swear.

Here's the dealio, I was going to make Tyler Florence's chicken pot pie.
It started that way, until I realized I had no puff pastry, no fresh thyme, no
home made chicken broth [the HORROR I know], no pearl onions.
Yeh I was batting a thousand.

So...
I did what we all do best in the food world,
I improvised.


My Chicken Pot Pie


chicken pot pie 055a




Ingredients:

  • 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • baby carrots, cut into little circles
  • 2 tbs finely chopped red onion
  • 1 box frozen or fresh peas
  • Leaves from 4 fresh parsley sprigs
  • A few fresh rosemary sprigs
  • 1 egg mixed with 3 tablespoons water
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • Chicken broth as needed to make the sauce
  • Splash of heavy whipping cream
  • Frozen Pie dough Tops *YES FROZEN*


Preparation:


Melt the butter and then whisk in the flour to form a paste.
This is a roux, which will act as a thickener.
Now, gradually pour in the chicken broth,
whisking the entire time to prevent lumps.
Whisk and simmer for 10 minutes to cook out the starchy taste
of the flour and thicken the broth; it should look like cream of chicken soup.
Season with salt and pepper. Fold in the shredded chicken, carrots, onion,
peas, and parsley and a sprig of rosemary. Add splash of cream.
Stir to combine and turn off the heat.
Pull out the sprig of rosemary.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.



Fill the crocks 3/4 of the way with the chicken mixture, making sure each serving has a nice amount of chicken, vegetables, and broth.


chicken pot pie 016a


Carefully cap each crock with a pastry/pie circle, pressing the dough around the rim to form a seal. Lightly beat the egg with 3 tablespoons of water to make an egg wash and brush some on the pastry. Sprinkle the pastry with the Parmigiano Reggiano, and a sprig of rosemary.


chicken pot pie 031a



Set the crocks on a cookie sheet and transfer to the oven.

Bake for 20 minutes, until puffed and golden.


chicken pot pie 035A















That's all she wrote~

7 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

A thing(s) of beauty!
One of my favourite meals !
I have never put cheese on top..sounds good!
Oh Kate my mom bought the pot pies too:) I loved them back then (the 50's and 60's for me)..

Yours look perfectamundo!

Have you seen the little red chickens to bake them in at WS? I think they are still on special..dear american friends were able to snap some up for me.
They are keeper dishes.. great quality and cute to boot.
Not that you pot pies need any cosmetic enhancements:) These would be to make you smile..It makes baking the pies even more fun if that's possible:)

vanillasugarblog said...

purrrrfect
love that topping
enjoy some for me...

Wilde Poet said...

Finally... something that I have had a bite or two of(not that I havent been offered a taste of the others). They tasted as good as they look. Hard to beat the taste of the rosemary mixed in with all the other flavors.

Great new look to the page as well. I like it.

Kathleen Bade said...

Oh girls......ur so good to me. Wait I'm not including Joshy in that......girls part.

I couldn't find them Monique....I don't know if I looked in the wrong place, they sound adorable.

Joshy you tried some? Oh wait that's right........haaha, yeh the rosemary was so much better than the thyme....really made the dish.

thnx bud, I kinda like it. We'll try it on for a few days see how it feels...I was sick of the blue, and white was sooooooo white.

Unknown said...

This looks so damn good. I love to make chicken pot pie. And I too use frozen pastry! (Mainly because I'm lazy, but also because I use puff pastry and I don't want to make my own). Send a piece my way would you?

a quiet life said...

gosh i have been away to long, i love your pics, its just a treat to have time this dawn to get caught up with you... you have a magic about you.

slt has the chickens, i saw them this weekend~

Kathleen Bade said...

you make me blush.



slt? what's slt???

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs