Sunday, May 22, 2011

Ponderings ....

IMG_3630b

I recently photographed this whale.
I saw the show. I clapped when the whale did
what he was trained to do. I was in awe of
his size and strength.  He was magnificent.
It was humbling.





IMG_3471a

I saw Dolphins do the same thing.
And I clapped, photographed and cheered as the dolphin performed.
I saw what was called a cove,
hold four or five dolphins. It was an outdoor
tank that was maybe the size of a hockey rink,
(and that's what it looked like)
okay maybe larger, but not even close to the size
of a football field. I was sad as I watched the
dolphins swim in circles. I wondered how deep it was.
They looked sad.  And bored. 


In my head I plotted their escape.
In my head I wondered how I'd feel if I were
held in captivity for the enjoyment of others.

I get that an animal born in captivity knows only the
life he was born into. But does he? Does instinct tell him there's more?
What about the ones who weren't.
The whales and dolphins who know the vastness of the ocean ...


I get the educational aspect. I do. 
But something just doesn't feel right about all of it.


I feel the same way when I leave the zoo.
It's so cool to see these animals I would normally
never get the chance to, but at what cost ...




that's the question I ask myself.


At what cost ...








IMG_3548a


I think I'll stick to the rides.












One Love. One Peace. Always and all ways.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love one day to swim with the dolphins, it's like your 100 list to do....it will happen!

~Sarah

Maryhocam said...

I really don't like to visit zoos. I don't like to see these magnificent animals in captivity.

Kathleen Bade said...

I here you on the zoo thing. Magnificent. That's the word for them.


Sarah, in the wild. I'd love to swim with them in the wild.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs